The Asia-Pacific Housing Forum is a biennial conference organized by Habitat for Humanity. In 2015, the Housing Forum’s fifth iteration, the main event will be held from 1-4 September in Hong Kong. It will bring together all actors engaged in seeking solutions to low-income housing issues that make business and economic sense.
Three satellite events, taking place in India and the Philippines, will run at similar times. All events will be coordinated through the Housing Forum theme of ‘Building Impact’
The Housing Forum brings together social innovators, entrepreneurs, urban planners, policy-makers, architects, academics, housing sector developers, non-governmental organizations, community based groups, advocates, corporations, international organizations and researchers.
- Shine the spotlight on innovative solutions that have potential for impact and scalability of affordable housing.
- Drive systemic policy change and market shift to create more opportunities for low-income housing solutions.
- Strengthen partnerships between diverse actors (public, private and civil society) to offer affordable housing at scale.
Theme and tracks
Following the theme of ‘Building Impact’, the Housing Forum event in Hong Kong is comprised four related tracks:
- Building leadership – profiling organizations and individuals at the forefront of the fight against substandard housing;
- Impacting communities – examining the key elements of sustainable housing solutions;
- Building markets – exploring the markets that low-income families use to meet their shelter needs;
- Impacting society – bringing together advocates committed to creating a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
For more information on the tracks, related plenaries and breakout sessions, click here
Wharton-Habitat for Humanity housing finance course
Building on the success of the housing finance course run at 2013’s Asia-Pacific Housing Forum, the main event in Hong Kong will include the course designed by Habitat for Humanity in collaboration with the International Housing Finance Program at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
The course covers these areas:
- Overview of the Asia-Pacific region mortgage finance market.
- Downscaling mortgage finance to reach low-income families.
- Overview of non-mortgage housing finance.
- Pricing housing finance for low-income market segments.
Linked to global events
The Asia-Pacific Housing Forum is timely, coming a year ahead of Habitat III, the bi-decennial United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development, which will take place in Quito, Ecuador, in October 2016. In September 2014, Habitat for Humanity signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with UN-Habitat to promote housing solutions worldwide through advocacy, engagement and awareness. Habitat for Humanity has been elected to represent civil society in various meetings leading up to Habitat III, and will be among the development and policy experts from around the world in attendance at Habitat III in 2016.
The Housing Forum in Hong Kong and satellite events in Delhi and Manila present an ideal opportunity for participants to examine how they can contribute to securing renewed political commitment for sustainable urban development, and addressing the region’s new and emerging challenges in housing. It also enables Habitat for Humanity to ensure that it accurately reflects the opinions and views of civil society at Habitat III.